Tuesday, May 18, 2010

It's a....... GIRL! 19 1/2 weeks

So I guess the mother's intuition is, not always, but usually a good indication of what the baby is going to be....and in our case it was right on! From the very beginning I have felt like our precious little package was going to be a girl and yesterday at 9:45 am, Dr Bell confirmed! (actualy he said he was 90% sure and he would check again at a future appointment to be 100%)
He was actually the one who did the ultrasound and took atleast 30 minutes showing us in detail what he looks for as far as warning signs for down syndrome, and spinal problems and he showed how he measures and what that all means. It was so fascinating to both Trav and myself but what was even more intriguing was seeing our baby girl move and squirm. She was pretty still through most of it but I think she was getting mad that we were disturbing her sleep so we got to see her move a bit = ) Everything is perfect and intact and she is growing at exactly the rate she should. Mommy, however has gained a lot but no more than average for someone my size, height and having my first child. My feet have been swelling but Dr. Bell didn't seem to have any worries about it, he wants me to make sure I am switching between sitting and standing, not doing one or the other for too long.
Last night we reveal to our family and close friends all at one time that we are having a girl and it was so exciting. I bought some girl outfits and wrapped them, then had my nephew Miles open it for all to see.
I think Travis is still in shock, not that it's a girl, just the whole process in general, and with good reason. I am the one growing and feeling changes, while he can just see me getting bigger. However during the ultrasound yesterday he kept repeating.."That is so amazing, that is so awesome, that is so amazing"!
The baby is pretty calm so far and I still haven't felt much movement. She is active in the mornings and sometimes when I lay to go to bed at night.
My next appointment is in 5 weeks and it will just be a routine exam to make sure mom and baby girl are doing well.
Our house is painted, porch is done, tomato plants growing big and the back yard and we are ready for a summer of relaxation (hopefully) and cookouts!
We still have a few more things to do to prepare for our little girl. We are getting a few new windows, including her room, getting the nursery together and trying to find a cure for a shedding dog. Yes, I know the last one is a lost cause but I will stay optimistic that someday I will not have to vacuum my house a million times a weeks just to stay ahead of it!
Thanks for stying tuned to our ongoing excitement!

2 comments:

  1. Emily,
    I love reading your blog. We did the same thing when we found out we were having Lilah. You will LOVE having this blog to look back on and is a great way to update friends and family once your baby girl is here. Best of luck for a healthy little baby in a few months!

    Take Care,
    Kristin Bennett

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your sweet little girl! You guys are in for a wonderful blessing!!

    ~Jenn

    ReplyDelete