Sunday, March 20, 2011

Our Pride and Joy : )

So, how in the world do I fit 6 months into a blog?  I have no idea...but here it goes!


I had a Dr. appt on Tuesday 9/21 at 11 am.  Dr. Bell was on vacation and  was sure I would not deliver until he was back....ha.  Dr Melillo was my Dr that day (if you watch one born every minute on lifetime, set at Riverside..he is often on there...pretty cool) !!
Anyway, after checking me I was sill 3 cm and 90% but told me my water was very low and jokingly said, "honey if you cough hard you're gonna have this baby!"
After driving home (from Columbus), I got home at about 1pm, ate lunch and took a 2 hour nap (God knew I would need it with what was ahead).  At around 4 pm I walked over to the office to talk to my dad and do a few things for work.  While talking with one of our staff, all of a sudden I felt like I wet myself.  I asked her what it felt like when your water broke, her reply..."you'll know."  At 4:15 pm I walked out the door and down a step and .... it happened..I knew : )
I immediately called Travis and he had been working in Columbus that day and was on his way back but wouldn't be there for another 45 minutes.  So I called my family, took a shower, folded some laundry and Trav was home, we loaded everything up and headed to Columbus (for the second time that day for both of us!)  I called to let them know we were on our way !
By the time we actually got to the hospital it was 7:15 pm and I still was not contracting.  Mom, Dad, Meg and Nathaniel got there a little while later.  They started me on patosin (spelling?) at 9pm and by 10 pm I was 7 cm and "seriously contracting".  Only women who have given birth can understand that emphasis.  They gave me an epidural around 10:30 and by midnight I was 10 am and we were ready to see our baby!  Can I just take a second to say that any of you reading this who have not had an epidural....you are "seriously missing out".
It made things so much more enjoyable, in fact it was wonderful to experience all of the joys and every moment without feeling like I was going to die : )
My nurse was incredible and I was so glad that she was the one to take care of me!
After pushing for 2 hours our precious Maci arrived at 2:11 am 9/22/10.  She was bright eyed and happy.  7 lbs 3oz and 18 inches long.  A peanut : )
We were so excited to finally meet her.  Travis was a bit in shock from the whole process...lol...lol.  I am laughing really hard remembering him throughout the whole thing!  At one point while I was pushing my mom asking him if he was ok...I looked over and he was as white as a ghost.   To his credit he did have a cold and was already not feeling good.  But he hung in there like a trooper!
We took her home and all was good until at 4 days old, her biliruben count got critically high and we had to rush her to Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus.  She almost had  a blood transfusion but by the grace of God she did not.  I must say that I have never experienced so much pain (emotionally) and fear like I did those 3 1/2 days.  However  we have such amazing family and such powerful prayer warriors bridging the gap for us in that time.  We didn't sleep and barely ate.  I was still trying to heal and was supposed to be resting, but the circumstance did not allow.  Never in my life have I felt so helpless but also so covered by the grace of God.  He absolutely carried me through that situation and healed our precious baby girls body.  I am forever grateful for those who prayed for Maci and Travis and I during that time.  Also for the incredible nurses and Drs that took care of Maci with such acute care and with such precision and gentleness.  Also for the Ronald McDonald organization that allowed us to stay at no cost so that we could be closer to Maci.  It was even more critical as I was breast feeding and needed to be with her every few hours, even during the night.
Speaking of breastfeed...whew....to me, learning to breast feeding and getting through the first 2 weeks of it was way harder that laboring or delivering.  I told Travis on multiple occasions how I would rather give birth  several more times that to go through those first 2 weeks of breast feeding again!!!  However, I would never trade it for the world, there is nothing more special.
Maci has brought so much joy and happiness to our lives.  Travis is absolutely sick over her and seeing him with her makes me love him even more.  She is so happy and there is nothing better than seeing her smile and to see those bright blue eyes light up!  She was born with a FULL head of dark hair and is slowly losing it, however she has maintained what we call her "old man comb over", a heavy chunk of dark hair in the very front swept to the side!  It is awesome : )
She talks a lot...to her binki, tags of her blankie, toys and Payton (our black lab).  In 2 days she will be 6 months old and it just seems unbelievable how fast time has gone.  She loves her baby food, her binkie and blankie and mommy and daddy and Payton!
She is now rolling over and attempting to sit up and is so funny to watch in her johnny jump up.  I think we will see some teeth coming in soon as we are seeing teething signs.  She is so incredibly loved, not just by us but by our families.  My parents and sisters did so much for us to make the "new baby" transition easier on us.  We are so blessed and lucky to have such a wonderful and supportive family.  
I took 8 full weeks off and 2 part time weeks after that and have been back to work full-time since the beginning of December.  It was a hard transition but a necessary one.  And I have a much greater appreciation for full-time working moms.  God absolutely gives us supernatural strength.  It has gotten easier over time and we are so lucky to have my mom and Jenny to take such great care of her.  Travis recently got a new job and is really enjoying it.  I am so proud of him !!!  He is so wonderful with her and it so wonderful to see him with her and how he loves her.  We are looking forward to every moment with Maci, every new movement or word and every milestone.  Life is wonderful and we are more than blessed.  God has been so good to us and we are ever so grateful for this time in our lives.
This blog may be long, but short in comparison to our feelings, emotions, events and excitement about all that has happened in the last 6 months and all the exciting things to come!  This summer we will be taking her on a cruise in the Caribbean on the Oasis of the seas and I can't wait for that.  I am sure we will spend lots of time at my parent's lake house and we are excited to spend that time at such a special place with her.
I know most of you are wondering why I am just now posting this blog, but seriously I feel like this is the first chance I have gotten!  With all the wonderful blessings of having a baby also come the lack of sleep, more laundry, more cleaning and on and on.  I actually feel good about getting it in before her first birthday!
More kids you ask??? Absolutely this is the most amazing thing in the world...when you ask??? Well its a little soon!!  We want to give ourselves some time to watch her walk and talk and do lots of things, but there is no doubt in my mind that the Poepack will expand one of these days! Travis' answer might be a little different o time frame might be a little longer, but since I'm the one doing the blog, we'll go with mine!
We'll keep on [posting as time and life and Maci allow  but thanks again for following and praying for this amazing life that God has allowed us to raise and love and support!
So Very Blessed,
Trav, Em and Maci


PS I'm too tired to spell check this so sorry for the errors!

No comments:

Post a Comment